Thursday, June 23, 2011

A Quagmire of FEES - Ebay and Paypal will Tag Team you!


I will go through an example of the fees charged for the sale of one item on ebay through paypal.

I list an item for .99c (.20c)

I add two images (25c fee for second image)

I upgrade to a gallery listing (50c)

After the 7 days (more fees to make it decide when the auction finishes)

So i sold my item for $27.66 and ebay takes there cut out at $2.19

The buyer paid through paypal (lucky me... now i get to give ebay another 3% out of my already plundered final ebay price).. - 77c

In the best interests of myself and the buyer i decided to only charge $2 to get more bidders and keep the cost down. Of course the item supposedly never made it to its final destination... so despite me stating clearly in the auction terms and conditions that i would send standard post "at buyers risk" or they could upgrade to registered.. Paypal just took the money out of my account including postage etc.

So in one transaction im Down:

the original item - $26.01 + ebay fees $3.04 + paypal .77c = - $29.82

Assuming the buyer was honest and did receive the total % of fees for this trade would be:

$3.81 in fees vs $26.01 final value = 11.8% (this may be acceptable depending on how happy you are with the final bidding price).

Now that is a top quality way of losing money in a very slow timely manner. I can only really by sure that both eBay and PayPal stand to gain regardless of which way the transaction goes.

Moral of the story... always send registered (even if it makes the auction final price ridiculously high). Don't list low price auctions as registered post will be more than the final price and the fees will make you a financial loser.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah dude.. screw ebay, i can understand why youd buy but selling on ebay is LOSE SOME or LOSE MORE depending on what the final price is... lose more seems like the common result..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I havent any word to appreciate this post.....Really i am impressed from this post....the person who create this post it was a great human..thanks for shared this with us. ethereum to paypal

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often. orbitex 交易所

    ReplyDelete